Thursday, December 10, 2009

Quiet Moments

Before I became a mother, quiet moments for me were times for prayer, reflection, reading and study. These were times to calm the soul and renew one's mind. Now with a very active 10 month boy in the home, quiet is no longer a call to contemplation, but rather a signal to alert that something is wrong. When the house is quiet it can mean only one of two things-Joseph is asleep or Joseph is up to no good.

Instead of that old peaceful feeling, silence now fills me with dread. I never know what I might find. Did we forget to close the bathroom door and Joseph is splashing around in the toilet bowl? Or did we forget to close the washer door and Joseph is sucking on the inner rubber seal? Is he in the bedroom chewing on the cell phone charger cord or emptying the contents of all the dresser drawers?

Gone are the days of carefree silences, but that's alright, it sure keeps life interesting around here.

1 comment:

Maura Colleen said...

Ahahahaha! I LOVE your hypothetical danger scenarios!